12/06/2007

Life of a graphic

Óscar Corvera, infographics artist from La Prensa Gráfica (El Salvador), sends this interesting document about the steps given to make one of his breaking news graphics and other following the facts, a great example of how an infographic artists can (should) work as a journalist.
I'll let him speak:

HOW I MADE THIS GRAPHIC


I receive call at dawn from my boss, telling thata car was shot, and there are some dead people.

Sketches
I go to the place and start to research information, from witnesses and policemen, telling me what happenedM
I've got to focus on one of the testimonies, make sketches about how the robbery happened, the street, cars, trees, deads...




Notes
I collect all the information and write the crime step by step.




Final sketch
I get the space in the page with designers. Graphic data is collated with the article to handle the same version.




Final work
After writing the texts and work with the images, graphic is just reviewed by correctors. Finally, the graphic gets into the page.




Following the news
After the fist publication, I decie to keep investigating. I asked sources from police and office of the public prosecutor. I visited the place of the crime and studied it. Finally, I got in the palce where the shot car was in custody. I counted the bullet holes and their positions. With help from the investigators I reaffirmed the palce where the victims were and reconstructed the version of the witness.






Publication
The infographic made the editors to choose a journalist to write an article to go with it.




Award
The graphic was sent to an international contest, and got an Excellence Award (SND).

No comments: